Did you know it’s National Bed Month during March?
The Sleep council organise campaigns throughout the year to highlight the impact of a good night’s sleep on health and wellbeing. They also provide advice on good lifestyle habits to follow and also provide advice to help eliminate factors that cause poor sleep.
National Bed Month 2018 is dedicated to improving a night’s sleep with a comfortable and supportive bed.
We do all however, have one thing in common and that is we spend more than a third of our lives in bed. So choosing the best bed/mattress for a good nights sleep is an important one.
If your not sure whether your bed/mattress needs to replaced try answering these questions:
- Are you getting a good night’s sleep? If the answer is no then your bed/mattress may be the problem. Like wise for you partner.
- Is your bed more than 10 years old? If the answer is yes then you should consider buying a new one. As with most things, beds wear out and lose their support over time.
- Can you feel the springs through the mattress? If the answer is yes then it definitely time to buy a new one.
Our Ealing chiropractor is often asked to advise on the ‘right’ type of bed/mattress to choose. However, in truth there is no one solution that suits all as we all come in different shapes, sizes and weights which contribute to choosing the “right” bed/mattress.
With this in mind our chiropractor at the Spine & Joint Centre in Ealing offers this advice when choosing a new bed/mattress.
- Spend time choosing your bed/mattress, the longer you spend lying on it the better idea you will have of whether it suits you.
- Choose a mattress that supports you the most. A heavier person may not get the same support from a mattress as a lighter person.
- When lying on your side on the mattress, your spine should be parallel to it. If you spine sags then the mattress is too soft, if your spine bows then the mattress is too hard.
- If you are sharing your bed with your partner then go together to try out the mattress. If you require very different types of mattress then you may want to consider a range that allows two single mattresses to be zipped together.
- Remember that you pillow also plays a part in ensuring you have a good night’s sleep. When lying on your mattress, your neck should be a continuation of your straight spine. Choose a pillow that is not too high or too low.